Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have more than 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex challenges.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
Barr is currently seeking a backfill consultant who will help further develop our capabilities related to paste, filtered tailings, and mine backfill. Qualified individuals will have technical expertise in the area of paste (surface disposal and underground backfill) and filtered tailings disposal. The individual will manage and perform engineering tasks for mine tailings management projects, particularly those involving underground mine backfill and high-density tailings disposal. In addition, client management, mentoring and coaching, project planning and scheduling, and workload estimating are part of this role. The position also requires periodic out-of-town assignments. This position can be based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Salt Lake City, Utah, Denver, Colorado, or Calgary, Alberta (preferred locations). Other locations within the United States or Canada may be considered.
Project responsibilities will include:
- Providing analysis and designs related to mine backfill studies and site audits
- Assisting clients with tailings dewatering, transportation, and disposal alternatives analyses and studies
- Assisting with detailed engineering design of tailings dewatering and paste transportation systems
- Assisting with detailed engineering design of paste (surface disposal and underground backfill) and filtered tailings disposal systems
- Leading projects and team members
- Business development activities
- Developing a technical team that has the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to evaluate and design paste and filtered tailings systems
- Bachelor’s degree in geotechnical, civil, geological, chemical, mechanical, or mining engineering or related field
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience directly related to the responsibilities described above
- Knowledge of mine backfill, tailings dewatering, and pipeline transportation
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification or ability to obtain certification within one year
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to build a team and mentor and develop staff
- Willingness to work in a project team environment that encourages self-initiative
- Demonstrated project organization and management skills
- A flexible working style as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs
- Acceptable driving record
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- 15+ years of relevant work experience
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in geotechnical, civil, geological, chemical, mechanical, or mining engineering or related field
- Knowledge of tailings management guidelines, standards, and regulations
- Experience working in consulting engineering
- Strong relationships with clients and the ability to develop or foster ongoing relationships and maintain a high level of client service
- Proven project management experience
Barr Engineering Co.
170 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
phone: +1 801-333-8400
fax: +1 801-333-8401
toll free: +1 800-632-2277