Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person in this position will undertake challenging and progressive work on projects related to the investigation, evaluation, and remediation of contaminated sites. Assignments may include preparing technical work plans, cost estimates, and contracts for investigations of contaminated soil, sediment, groundwater, and soil gas; interpreting data; preparing drilling logs, geologic maps, cross-sections, and technical reports; conducting communications, meetings, and negotiations with clients and regulatory and agency personnel; and providing project management. Responsibilities may also include mentoring staff, building client relationships, and business development.
Additional assignments may include on-site investigations of contaminated soil, sediment, groundwater, surface water, and soil gas; aquifer test performance and analysis; and construction observation. On-site investigation tasks involve observing drilling and monitoring well installation, classifying soil and bedrock samples, and collecting samples for field screening and laboratory analysis. Fieldwork opportunities for this position may be year-round, including out-of-town travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental, civil, geological, or chemical engineering; geology or hydrogeology; or related disciplines
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience
- Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with project team members, regulators, and clients
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness
- Strong computer skills, including word processing and use of spreadsheets
- A flexible working style and the ability to work both independently and with teams of specialists to meet client and project needs
- Willingness to travel and periodically adjust personal schedule to meet project needs (up to 15% travel and up to 30% fieldwork expected; project needs will vary seasonally and over time)
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- Master’s degree in engineering, geology, or related discipline
- Professional Engineer (PE) or Professional Geologist (PG) certification, as applicable, or ability to obtain within one year
- Familiarity with environmental regulations, including Michigan Part 201 and Part 213 programs
- 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER) certification
- Project management and leadership experience with complex projects
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Barr Engineering Co.
3005 Boardwalk Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
phone: +1 734-922-4400
fax: +1 734-922-4401
toll free: +1 800-632-2277