Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have more than 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex challenges.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person in this position will provide mining engineering and related technical expertise to Barr’s multidisciplinary project teams. Work may include mine planning (both short- and long-term) including implementation planning and development sequencing; ore blending plans; mine reclamation plans; sustainability evaluations; report writing; overall mine development studies (pre-feasibility and feasibility); and economic analysis. This person will provide technical expertise as well as manage projects involving both ferrous and nonferrous minerals. Administrative responsibilities such as business development, project management, project planning and scheduling, and workload estimating are also a part of this strategic role. This person will have the opportunity to serve as a mentor to junior and mid-level engineers, helping them develop their technical and project management skills by reviewing technical reports, providing guidance on analyses, and overseeing their financial and client management on projects. The work may require short-term, out-of-town work assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in mining, geotechnical, geological, or civil engineering or related discipline
- 15 or more years of related experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated project organization and management skills
- Experience working at industrial sites
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Willingness to work in a project team environment that encourages self-initiative
- A flexible working style as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and basic Microsoft Office software packages, especially Excel
- Acceptable driving record
- Mine operations and/or development and planning experience
- Proficiency with mine modeling software such as Vulcan, Minesight, or similar
- Professional Engineering (PE) certification or ability to obtain within one year
NOTE: Some work locations feature rough terrain typical of industrial sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Safety training will be provided.
Barr Engineering Co.
170 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
phone: +1 801-333-8400
fax: +1 801-333-8401
toll free: +1 800-632-2277