Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person in this position will work on projects with a diverse team of engineers and scientists, completing water resources, civil engineering, and related technical assignments. Work may include hydrologic and hydraulic analysis related to stormwater management and planning and flood risk reduction; water quality analysis in urban and/or rural settings; hydraulic analysis and design related to rivers, streams, conveyances, dams, and other hydraulic structures; preparation of technical reports, detailed design plans, technical specifications, and contract documents; and interacting with clients, permitting agencies, and public officials. Responsibilities may also include involvement with or supervision of project teams involved in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, water quality modeling, GIS, and CADD work. The work may involve short-term, out-of-town assignments either in the field or in another office.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, with an emphasis on water resources
- 5 years of water resources engineering experience with a focus on modeling and/or design
- Professional Engineer (PE) or ability to obtain one within one year
- Project management experience
- Experience with water resources challenges such as stormwater management and flood risk reduction; precipitation and flooding data analysis; urban and rural hydrologic analysis; open channel and pipe flow analysis; hydraulic structures; bank stabilization and stream restoration; floodplain analysis and mapping; dam break analysis; and dam and levee analysis and design
- Familiarity with hydrologic and hydraulic modeling approaches and commonly used software
- Working knowledge of GIS and CADD software
- Familiarity with water resources data collection methodologies
- Proficiency in developing detailed design plans, technical specifications, and contract documents
- Flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedule as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- Master’s degree or PhD in civil or environmental engineering
- 6+ years of water resources engineering experience
- Experience with proposal development
- Experience with client management and business development
- Experience with GIS, CADD, and water quality modeling software as well as hydrologic modeling and 1D and 2D hydraulic modeling software
- Strong technical skills in a broad range of civil engineering topics
- Experience leading interdisciplinary design teams
- Experience with site development design and plans and specifications
- Construction observation, field work, and surveying experience
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Barr Engineering Co.
234 West Century Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58503
phone: +1 701-255-5460
fax: +1 701-222-6371
toll free: +1 800-632-2277