Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person selected for this position will work on projects involving civil engineering, hydraulic and hydrologic analysis, and related technical activities. Responsibilities entail stormwater planning and hydrologic runoff modeling and analysis, including hydrologic modeling, open-channel and pipe-flow design and design of water-control structures; and construction observation; surveying; collecting hydrologic or water quality measurements; and materials testing. This person may also complete plans and specifications, work with permitting agencies and public officials, complete GIS and CADD work, write reports, and develop spreadsheets. Field work may involve short-term, out-of-town assignments.
- Bachelor's degree in civil or environmental engineering or related engineering degree, with an emphasis on civil design and water resources
- Two years of professional experience with one or more of the following: hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, open channel and pipe flow, lake and stream water quality issues, and earthwork and grading plans
- Strong computer skills, including word processing and use of spreadsheets, and exposure to hydrologic and hydraulic computer modeling, GIS, and CADD software
- Flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedule as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a part of a project team
- Demonstrated written and oral presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Acceptable driving record
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- MS degree in civil or environmental engineering
- Three or more years of hydrologic and hydraulic modeling experience
- Strong technical skills in a wide range of civil engineering topics
- Excellent writing skills
- Knowledge of and experience with flood hazard modeling and mapping
- Project design experience (e.g. site and roadway design, stormwater management facility design), including preparation of plans and specifications
- Demonstrated experience with GIS, CADD, and hydrologic and hydraulic models
- Project or task management experience
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Barr Engineering Co.
4300 MarketPointe Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55435
phone: +1 952-832-2600
fax: +1 952-832-2601
toll free: +1 800-632-2277