Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 800 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
This position will involve work on projects with a diverse team of engineers and scientists, completing water resources/civil engineering and related technical assignments. Project work may include: hydrologic analysis related to stormwater planning and flood control; water quality analysis in urban and/or rural settings; hydraulic analysis and design related to rivers, streams, conveyances, dams and other hydraulic structures; preparation of technical reports, plans and specifications; and working with clients, permitting agencies and public officials. Assignments may also include involvement with or supervision of project teams involved in hydrologic/hydraulic modeling, water quality modeling, GIS and CADD work. The work may at times involve short-term, out-of-town assignments either in the field or in another office.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil/environmental engineering, with emphasis on water resources
- 6 years of water resources engineering experience with a focus on hydrology and/or water quality
- Project management experience
- Experience with water resources challenges such as precipitation and flooding data analysis; urban and rural hydrologic analysis; open channel and pipe flow analysis; hydraulic structures; bank stabilization and stream restoration; floodplain analysis and mapping; dam break analysis; dam and levee analysis and design
- Familiarity with hydrologic and hydraulic modeling approaches and commonly used software
- Working knowledge of GIS, and CADD software
- Experience with proposal development
- Experience with client management and business development
- Familiarity with water resources data collection methodologies
- Flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedules as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- MS or PhD in civil or environmental engineering, with a focus on hydrology and/or water quality
- 10+ years of water resources engineering experiences with a focus on hydrology and/or water quality
- Experience with leading proposal management and development
- Demonstrated success in business development and client management
- Experience with GIS, CADD, hydrologic modeling and 1D and 2D hydraulic modeling software, and water quality modeling
- Strong technical skills in a broad range of civil engineering topics
- Experience with site development design and plans and specifications
- Construction observation, field work, and surveying experience
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients..
Barr Engineering Co.
4300 MarketPointe Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55435
phone: +1 952-832-2600
fax: +1 952-832-2601
toll free: +1 800-632-2277